Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pap & Mince Lasagne

A super cheap end of the month meal that is very very delish and morish.


1 small pot of pap already made
1 tin sweetcorn
1/2 liter of plain/greek yougart
Cheese, lots of it
Onion, peppers, mushrooms
Lean Mince
Jam/sweet relish/chutney
Bottle of BBQ sauce

Make the pap however you like pap (I can't make pap *blush* any sort of pap at all, I suck at pap so I bribe my domestic to make a pot for me when she come in so I can make this dish) lol
Once the pap is made add the tin of corn, the yougurt and cheese and mix it up, leave to steam on the back of the stove while you make the mince. I have to tell you that my Hubby Ty can't tell the difference between this pap and mashed potato, ok he is not a foodie but I had him eating this pap for ages before I told him it was pap *evil grin*

Time for the veggies, now I know most people do the mince 1st and add veggies to it while cooking but I prefer cooking my veggies 1st and adding them once the mince is browned.  I think it keeps the colours fresh.
Chop up the Onion, peppers, mushrooms and start frying them off in a Med pan , add a blob of Jam and salt and pepper to the mix after a few minutes and take off the heat and set aside while you fry up the mince.

 
For the mince I like to dry fry it, I add a splash of EVO(that's Extra Light Olive Oil) and then I brown it for about 10 minutes.  I add a little water to the pan to keep it steaming.  Once it's nicely browned I add a bottle of BBQ sauce, or a small tin or tomato Puree or basically something wet to moisten it up. 
Once it's mixed through nicely I add the veggies back into the pan and mix it all together, making sure it's well mixed.  You want all the flavours to mix.
 
Get a glass dish out and spray and cook it all over, I don't use butter or oil cause I try very hard to stay away from using excessive fats where I can.  I do however use the Butter flavoured Spray and cook lol.
Spray you dish well and add your 1st layer of pap, it's easy to work with if your hands are damp, you can actually shape it to fit in corners.  Spread it out well and add a few spoons on mince on top, another layer of pan and more mince now keep going till something run out.  Finish off with pap on the top.  Sprinkle the lot with cheese and put under the Grill for a few min to melt and brown.

It's very nice just like that but I like to serve it with garlic bread and a salad as well. 
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What is pap and what is mince?

Unknown said...

Use mealiemiel for making pap.

Unknown said...

Pap is a South African porridge made from corn. Mince is minced beef :)

Unknown said...

Another name for mince is ground beef:)