Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bone Marrow and Veggie Soup or Good old fashioned healthy soup


I love this soup, it's a super healthy easy perfect for a cold winter day soup. 


1 kg marrow bones - cut on the long (I have to ask my butcher to do this specially for me because they are normally cut round.)
1/2 marrow bones cut round
Veggies, whatever U have lurking in your fridge that is past it\s best before date but still to good to throw away.  I used Marrows, a woolies mixed veggie mix, snow peas, onion and 2 baby cabbages.
2 tins of tomato soup or you can use packets of soup as well
Enough water to cover everything, when you see veggies floating stop adding water. 
  
First I get the long bones in the oven.  I cover them in salt, black pepper, olive oil and smoked paprika and roast them for 20 min.  Long enough to cook but not long enough so that the juices start melting away into fat.  Watch them if you are not sure, no less than 10 min no more than 25 should be a good time frame.

 While they are baking add the round marrow bones to a HOT pot with a little oil and brown them all over. 
The marrow inside should turn brownish, once they are browned on all sides, add in the veggies and fry them for just a few minutes to get some caramelising  happening.
Add in the tin of soup or the packets of soup that you have already mixed with a little hot water and smoothed out the lumps in. Once the bones in the oven are ready, take them out and let them cool a little then scrape all the yummy marrow out of the bones and add it to the soup pot.  You don't get much out but what there is is packed with flavour.  The dogs will love the bones and thank you with loads of puppy kisses.
Start adding water and don't stop till either everything is covered or the veggies start floating.  
Now let it boil away, I cook mine all day, the longer you cook it the better the taste in my opinion.
 I am not a fan of chunky soup for the most part, I like thick smooth soup so once it's been cooking for a few hours I pull the bones out and use my thunderstick to blend it all smooth, BUT if you like it chunky just slice the veggies up more before adding them in. 
Salt and Pepper the soup to your taste, add a dash of Tabasco if you like spice. 
Serve it with a nice warmed up crusty bread for sopping up all the flavours or make toasted cheese sarmies to dip in to....soups were meant for dipping.  If there is nothing to dip, dunk or drown in the soup it is not worth eating :)

No comments: